Welcome to the Urnes Style Fundamentals course. This course will get you familiar with the essential concepts of the style, and at the end, you’ll be able to create an authentic Urnes style design from start to finish. I’m glad to have you, and I hope you’ll enjoy it.
The course is split into two modules. In the first module, you’ll be introduced to the essential building blocks of the Urnes style. In the second module, I’ll walk you through my step-by-step process of creating a design true to the historical style.
The Building Blocks
In the first module, you’ll get familiar with the essential features of the Urnes style. You’ll learn the anatomy of the animals and how they’re constructed. You’ll also learn the structure of the ribbon flow and how to construct the interlacing patterns. And lastly, you’ll learn how to create variety and customise your design by modifying the classic features and shapes of the style. These building blocks will set you up to be able to create your own design in the style as we’ll do in the next module.
Assembling Your Design
In the second module, I’ll walk you through the process of creating your own design inspired by historical references. We’ll start by analysing the designs of the Urnes openwork brooches and what is the essential features of this classic Urnes style design. Then we’ll go on to explore the step-by-step process of creating the design from initial sketch to finished artwork.
- How to lay out the ribbon flow in a simple and approachable manner.
- How to add mass to the ribbons to flesh out the animals.
- How to adjust ribbon and terminal widths to make the style look coherent.
- How to add in features and details, like heads and feet.
- How to weave the ribbons correctly to create the illusion of the interlace pattern.
- And lastly how to ink and colour the composition to finish the design.
So without further ado, let’s get into it. I’ll see you in the first lesson.